New Garden

The main forum for any and all gardening, homesteading, permie-related questions.

New Garden

Postby MeanGreenBean » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Yesterday, my class started its gardens for a project. I, being the plant nerd but also gardening n00b I am, decided this year was the first year I'll have a successful garden.

So as a less skillful gardener, what are the biggest pitfalls I should avoid? Any other tips? Danke! :mrgreen:

MeanGreenBean

Re: New Garden

Postby Cactusdan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Hmmmm good questions!

What are conditions like in your area?

Getting a good planting calendar for your area and knowing which crops do best can definitely be make or break.

I've typically focused on perennials, so this year I'm venturing into slightly uncharted territory by starting a community garden plot myself! Only other annual gardening I did was 5+ years ago back in the SE, which is far different from out here in the PNW!

Cactusdan

Site Admin
Plant Identifier
Permaculture Designer
Basket Maker

Postby MeanGreenBean » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:38 am

I live in the most unpredictable place on earth when it comes to weather: Fremont County, Colorado, right by the rockies. lol

It's pretty arid here and there's a lot of clay soil. Major temperature variation for sure. We generally reach the mid 90s during the summer but the spring and fall are generally 30s to 80s. Anything else you gotta know to help feel free to ask! :D

MeanGreenBean

Postby Cactusdan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:20 am

Things like Kale and stuff should definitely be easy!

They do well in quite a few places.

Also beets/chard probably would do alright too!

I've had decent luck with onions, garlic, and strawberries in more compacted clay soil as well.

Sounds like you're in a rough place! Best thing to do would be to talk to people in the area who enjoy gardening and see what they grow. Could have some varieties that are adapted or do well in your conditions :)

Cactusdan

Site Admin
Plant Identifier
Permaculture Designer
Basket Maker

Postby MeanGreenBean » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Alright! Thanks for the advice! I've generally had a brown thumb cuz all I end up growing is dirt.

And radishes. Those are so incredibly easy.

MeanGreenBean

Return to General Gardening