Peruvian Scientist Uses Nanotech to Restore Polluted Lake

Frequently updating archive of environmental news articles.

Peruvian Scientist Uses Nanotech to Restore Polluted Lake

Postby Cactusdan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Peruvian Scientist Uses Nanotechnology to Restore Polluted Lake
by Omar Balbin Larrea, PLANO

Peruvian scientist Marino Morikawa created a cleanse system using nanobubbles to decontaminate lake El Cascajo, located at Chancay district, north of Lima, Peru's capital. After nearly four years of the start of the project, 90% of the lake waters are recovered, and the place is now visited once again by at least 70 species of migratory birds.

It all started in late 2010, when Morikawa, who is a researcher professor at the University of Tsukuba in Japan, received a call from his father: "Do you remember El Cascajo? It will be capped, is contaminated."

The lake was once home to more than a thousand species of migratory birds in the 1990s. The Lake is also known as “humedal”, Spanish word for "wetlands", which do not necessarily have the depth of a large lake but are habitat for several species.

By e-mail, Morikawa Marino, who is a PhD in Bio industrial Science with specialization in water treatment, told PLANO that he was surprised by the news given by his father. "Since I was a small child, with 3 or 4 years old, I remember fishing with my father at sea, which is 100 meters from the area where the “humedal” was formed. After fishing, my father used to took me to the lake to see the flamingos, it was a fabulous show."

Morikawa decided to travel back to Peru to investigate the situation. When he arrived at Chancay, he found a completely abandoned and unprotected El Cascajo. The lake water was eutrophic, ie, with very low or total absence of oxygen and excessive nutrients. The first consequence was the invasion of the Pistia stratiotes species, an aquatic weed, commonly known as water lettuce, which came to cover 99% of the surface of the lake.

A sewer system was built within the perimeter of the wetland, which accumulated waste that flowed straight to the sea. In addition, at least 50% of the lands that were part of the wetland had been taken for misuse of local farmers.

Article continues at PLANO

Cactusdan

Site Admin
Plant Identifier
Permaculture Designer
Basket Maker

Return to Environmental News