Mt. St. Helens and Lake Merwin, WA

Share your experiences from nature here.

Postby Cactusdan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:30 am

So my family has been in town for the last week, which has given me some time off of work to do some good PNW exploring!

Today, we started off to a trip to Lake Merwin. PoC and I had visited here the fall of 2013 and it was a pretty beautiful sight to see. We also heard a Loon of some sort, which is one of the sounds I relate strongest to nature.

Any ways, no loons today (I think they over-winter here), but we did see a garter snake and ate a TON of
Thimbleberries and Red Huckleberries!

After that, we drove a bit further North to Mt. St. Helens. I hand't been here since my first 4th of July in Oregon, so it was a nice refresher. Seemed like way more wildflowers out this year, but maybe I just hadn't noticed (hard to believe that).

Before getting to the actual base of the mountain, we stopped off at Coldwater Lake.

We had seen some older, dried-up Tiger Lilies while hiking the other day, but these ones were still nice and fresh. Also, this particular plant seemed to have a bumper crop of flowers!

The landscape around Mt. St. Helens is really something unique. Lots of pretty wildflowers up there this time of year apparently; consisting mainly of Lupine, Indian Paintbrush, and Foxgloves.

As we got higher up, there were a few different plants that started popping up. Not quite sure what these first purple ones are yet...

Also, not quite sure what this little guy is... I did find the neat Rock Lupine (Lupinus saxosus), which also makes an appearance in this picture.

I love Lupine.

We started heading home at sunset, which made the whole area glow! We also saw 2 Mule Deer and 3 ELK!!! I've never seen an elk before, but we saw two does and a insanely magnificent buck who had huge antlers!

Cactusdan

Site Admin
Plant Identifier
Permaculture Designer
Basket Maker

Re: Mt. St. Helens and Lake Merwin, WA

Postby JT_NZ » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 pm

Wow! Beeeeeeautiful! :) You must have had a blast there with ya folks! :)

I like that picture of the Tiger Lily and the flowers with Mt. St. Helen in the background :)

JT_NZ

Return to Outdoors and Adventure